Porsgrunn secondary school's mission statement: Together for success/attainment, diversity and a positive learning environment.
Goals for education
• We prepare students for higher education, a meaningful working life and to be committed and responsible citizens • Learning is an active process which requires an effort on the part of each individual pupil in a safe and inclusive environment • To best equip students for the future, we focus on environmental awareness, entrepreneurship and cooperation with the local and international community • We focus on creating a good physical and psychosocial environment in order to teach students important life skills
Our expectations of students
• All students have strengths and resources • Students should learn to accept each other's differences • Students should learn to cope with academic and social challenges • Students should be inquiring and creative, and learn from each other • Students should learn to think critically and independently, and develop ethical awareness • Pupils should be active participants in the planning, implementation and evaluation of learning
We believe in good relations
• We treat each other with trust and respect • We create a secure and inclusive environment • We listen to each other • We set clear expectations • We facilitate good home-school relations
The productive lesson
• Everyone arrives punctually and there is a clear subject focus • Both teacher and pupils are well prepared • There are clear academic expectations and requirements • Clear lesson structure • Differentiated instruction • An emphasis on inclusive and constructive dialogue • There is a variety of didactic methods • Continuous assessment by the teacher provides motivation for students’ progression within the subject
Our special focus
• Increased graduation rates and increased learning attainment • A secure and predictable class environment • Evaluation and feedback designed to help students achieve their learning goals • Close cooperation between home and school
Raising pupils' awareness
• We use varied teaching and learning strategies tailored to students’ individual needs and requirements • We ensure a purposeful start for new pupils to PVS with a custom-designed familiarization programme • We consciously develop basic skills • Porsgrunn secondary school ensures a stimulating learning environment which prepares the student for working life or further education. We develop students' critical thinking in order to help them become responsible and reflective citizens in an increasingly international world.