The International Baccalaureate® (IB) offers international education at a high level through a network of schools worldwide. Today there are more than 5,308 programmes worldwide, across 4,665 schools. Porsgrunn secondary school has offered the program since 2011.
Preparation for the IB Diploma Programme
- VG1: Pre-IB class. Norwegian curricula, Norwegian textbooks (just as in the VG1 general studies program) and examination structure. Some teaching is given through English in order to prepare for the IB Diploma Program in VG2 and VG3. Additionally, students can apply to the IB Diploma Programme after normal VG1 as well.
- 3 of these are taken at higher level and 3 at standard level
- All students take the subject "Theory of Knowledge" which fosters critical thinking and investigates the relationships between the subjects
- All students write a compulsory essay of 4000 words on a topic of their choice within one of their chosen subject fields
- All students participate in the "Creativity, Activity and Service" program, where they take part in extracurricular activities alongside their academic studies.
All of the above criteria ensures that the students are well equipped for universities home and abroad.
We are offering the following subjects for our IB students
Norwegian A Literature HL and SL
Norwegian B HL and SL
English A Language and Literature HL and SL
English B HL
Spanish ab initio SL
Social and Cultural Anthropology HL and SL
History HL and SL
Chemistry HL and SL
Physics HL and SL
Mathematical Studies SL
Visual Arts SL
Benefits of the IB Diploma Programme
- In addition to regular teaching in small groups, students receive guidance from their subject teacher (tutor hours)
- Students receive a solid linguistic and professional basis for study at universities and colleges in Norway and abroad.
- Teaching materials and curricula are identical to those used in all IB schools around the world and form a shared basis for human respect, tolerance and international understanding.